Monday, January 26, 2009

And so it begins

Just read an email stating that the Black Artist Association was upset because Michelle Obama did not choose a dress by a African American designer. Her husband did not choose an African American designer either, did he? I know he likes Hart, Schaffner and Marks for his suits. Are they African American? At any rate, the email made it seem like this is the only chance Mrs. Obama would have to select an African American designer. I think they will be in the White House at least 4 years. I would think there would be other opportunities for her to wear designer clothes.

Having said that, I would like to add that Mrs. Obama shouldn't have to select an African American anything just because they are African American. I make my selections as a matter of taste, not because of the color or someone's skin. Isn't that what Martin Luther King said?That it should be the content of one's character that makes the choice, not the color of one''s skin. He was not just talking to White people. Let's leave the crab mentality in the fish market.

No comments: