Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What is torture?

I watched a video in which a journalist bet that he could withstand waterboarding for 15 seconds. The person who was going to administer the "test" was covered so you could not see his face. He explained to the journalist that he WOULD NOT be able to last that long. The journalist was strapped to a board with his head slightly down and feet a little higher. He was given an object to drop on the floor to stop the test.

Then the waterboarding began.

The journalist dropped the object within about 5 seconds! He then explained how he could not breathe because the water was going up his nose. He stated that his brain was telling his body to breath and that his heart was racing incredibly. THIS WAS AFTER ABOUT 5 SECONDS.

If I remember correctly, the man administering the "test" did not think waterboarding was torture. Are you kidding? Someone please tell me what torture is if this is not torture.

This is like saying only the Japanese tortured people during WW2 but we didn't. Yeah. Right. Or that only the North Vietnamese committed terrible atrocities during the Vietnam fiasco. We, Americans, only went over there to "help" these people who could not help themselves.

Don't misunderstand me. I don't condone torture no matter what side of the flag you are on. If my telling you something, even a lie, is going to stop the torture, I may just tell you something.

Man's inhumanity to man. Unbelievable the lengths we humans will go to in the name of justice, religion, etc.

2 comments:

MysticDiva1 said...

Let's not get on our soap boxes to quickly on this torture issue, while I do not condone torture for torture sake (the inquisition, or needless P.O.W. torture, etc.).

AND while I do not concur with ANYTHING that the previous presidential administration has done (well nearly nothing), we should not began to second guess what was done by those charged with the safety of the American people during times of national stress and concern over when, where and how the next attack may have occurred. (Would I stick bamboo shoots under the finger nails of the person who killed my sister to save my brother? Hummm let me think??? HELL YEAH)

In hindsight we can all take the high road and posture about "Man's inhumanity to man". But, while the arguments can go either way for or against, when you personally are tasked with a responsibility as great as those who were on the front lines immediately after 9/11/2001, there is no hindsight view.

MysticDiva1 said...

The following comment was sent by LYONHARD. I appreciate his comments because it gives me another perspective.